Friday, September 10, 2010

Mark knows I'm a nerd

So on Wednesday we didn't have class because of the Fiestas y Ferias de Salamanca. So, Mark and I met up and we decided to explore the city some more, because as the title suggests mark knows Im a nerd and love, love love to look at all the cool old buildings and such. :)
Our first stop was La Salina, a palace in Salamanca. We weren't able to walk around inside but you were able to walk into the courtyard. There were posters explaining each of the shield and heads that were on the walls and the progression of architecture through the years, there are some pictures up on facebook. :]
After that we went to the museum of modern art, Museo Modernista. You weren't able to take your camera in so I don't have any pictures of that, but if you google the name and click images you can see how beautiful the building is. There is stained glass everywhere and mixed with the art and the building creates a really neat atmosphere of the museum. Right now they have a Picasso exhibition of his art work that deals with the bulls and bull fighting. It was his work through the ages with different mediums,  like charcoal and paint. I really enjoyed it. It was also interesting too because there is such a debate in Spain about bull fighting, you can really see how much Picasso respected them.
We then walked back to the church with the offering and took pictures of that in the daylight. So many beautiful flowers and it all smelled sooooo gooood :)
Then after lunch we went to the Corte Ingles and saw Charangas and Cabezudos. Basically a band with a group of people who have big paper maché heads and dance to the band and chase little kids around. There all different types of heads, old lady, witches, men, bulls. My favorite was the bull :)
Then from there we went to a little mexican restaurant (Im guessing the only one in Salamanca) had a little snack and a drink then headed to the Campó de San Francisco for a flamenco dance. It was really neat, and a ton of people! Then we walked over to the Patio Escuela( getting sort of lost on the way, but finding a really cool fountain) and saw some flamenco fusion. It was some singing and then some dancing but to different music, it was different and I definitely like the traditional flamenco more. Then a group of us went and ate at various casetas in the a park. We got the specials at each one and a drink for 1.80. They were very interesting and some tasted better than others! We went back to the Plaza Mayor, listened to some music and then headed home.

Yesterday we had class again and I was super tired. So, I went to class, came back for lunch and then slept until 5. We had a meeting with out city guides for a tour of the casetas (I figured I had enough but still wanted to go), so we went back to the casetas in the Campó de San Francisco and ate wayyyy tooooo muchhhh. We got tortilla español, chorizo, calamari, little fried squids and sardines! It was a lot of fun because we all sat together talking and eating, and watching these ladies flamenco dancing. It was a lot of fun! After that, we went home and had dinner, then mark and I went to the Plaza Mayor for another concert. It was really interesting because it consisted of drumming and singing and there was a fusion of all different types of music. I really liked it. When I got home, I had to ask my family about what these expressions meant (part of an asssignment) and I ended up getting a ton of useful everyday expressions from them! It was great!

Today is FRIDAY!!! wooohooo! Im done with class and we have another tour at 5. After that Courtney, Kelly, Kelley, Jess, Mark and I are going to meet to discuss traveling plans to Portugal.  :)
Check out facebook for more pictures!!!
Hasta Luego!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zandra! I'm glad you guys are having so much fun, and I'm looking forward to reading your future adventures! Everyone made fun of me for all of my blog entries being as long as novels in Ecuador, so I'm glad to see you're writing that way too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing!!! i miss you soo much and its only been like a week an half haha ahhh.

    ReplyDelete